Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

There's No Such Thing as "Waiting on God"

You're not waiting on God. God requires us to be patient, but at no point does He make us "wait." Waiting is an idle activity.  When God has not yet given us something, He doesn't want us to just "wait."  God is simply using that time to PREPARE you.  So our wait time is not waiting at all--it's preparation.  If you find yourself waiting on God, then you're probably not doing what you need to be doing.

I find myself waiting often, and during those times I allow my mind to fill up with anxious thoughts, unbelief, and then I begin to lose hope. God doesn't want us to wait on Him; He wants us to prepare for whatever it is that He has planned next.  How do we prepare for the plans that God has for us?  It's quite simple actually--spend time with Him.  There will be so many fleshly and spiritual forces that will try to stop you from doing this one simple thing, but it's really the most important thing you can do for yourself. Get a journal, index cards, a pen, highlighter, worship music, and a Bible that you understand and dive in.  Some days you may just write to God like a pen pal.  Some days you will read the Word and He will give you deeper understanding. Some days you may dance for Him or fall on your face in worship.  Some days you may pray for others.  Some days you may do all of these things. Let Him lead you during that quality time that you spend with Him and listen for His voice.

The fact of the matter is though, if you actually spend your time preparing rather than waiting, you won't even think about that thing that you're waiting on--a marriage, a ministry, a new house, a new friendship, etc.  God wants us to focus on the now, on the current season.  I know how hard it is because I struggle with this every day. I struggle to do the simple things I should be doing every day even though I know they will draw me closer to the Lord. Often times I don't do it. And it costs me. It shows in the anxiety and fear that I still experience regularly rather than the peace and comfort that the Holy Spirit brings. The truth is, sometimes I just don't feel like doing what I need to do.  Most of the time that's the problem. Other times I 'm afraid.  Living for God carries weight and responsibility, and I'm not so sure I'm cut out for it.  But then again, I'm not.  Jesus has qualified me to do this thing, not me.

Keep your eyes on the Lord and let Him prepare you. Everything He calls you to do has a purpose, even if He simply tells you to rest. Walk out of the waiting room; no one is going to show up to call your name.  Step onto the obstacle course and let God prepare you for what is to come.

True Love

No comments:

Post a Comment