Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Freedom in Obedience

Freedom and obedience seem like oil and water to the naked eye, but if you dig deeper into your walk with the Lord then you begin to realize that their is real, everlasting freedom in being obedient to His word.  God wants the best for your life and my life, and He will give you the best life if you allow Him too  (Jer 29:11).  When I forgive others, when I apologize when I've done wrong, when I do the things that the Holy Spirit puts it on my heart to do, I feel peace.  That peace is a peace from God which surpasses all understanding (Phil 4:6).  Being obedient to God transfers your burdens in life off of your heart and onto God's.  We spend so much time worrying about things that we cannot change, yet we have know the very One who can. For example,  one thing that I continue to stress about regularly is my student loans.  I could buy a brand new 2015 Range Rover if my student loan debt was actually cash in my pocket. It's a ton of debt right? But I know that right now God has provided me with the job I have and the salary I have (I spent a year praying for this job and He finally gave me a VISION for it. I was unemployed for maybe three or four weeks before scoring the interview and I was hired at the end of it. Praise Him!) So if my current salary won't allow me to pay off my debt in full then God HAS to have another plan in place.  Why am I still worried again?  I do my part by paying my student loan payments on time every month.  The rest is up to God.

During times when I'm not being obedient to God, I know it is because I do not trust Him. Scripture tells us in John 14:23: 'Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."'  God already loves us, but He is waiting on us to choose to love Him back so that He can come into our hearts and dwell there.  If we love someone, then we trust them.  If we trust them, then we obey them.  Trust is a part of loving someone, and when you do not trust someone, unfortunately, that is not love.  Obedience is definitely challenging especially when fear, doubt, worry, and similar feelings come into the picture.  I encourage you today to push through that and seek God out instead. If you struggle with obedience as I do, then I encourage you to try the following


  • Spend time with God daily- set aside at least 30 minutes daily to listen to worship music, pray, and read the Word. Reading the Word especially and including God in that time (asking Him questions about the word and listening for His voice while you're reading) will leave you feeling peaceful and refreshed. 
  • Ask God what is hindering your obedience- I oftentimes struggle with fear and anxiety that ends up overwhelming me and keeping me from stepping out and doing things that God has told me to do. I even end up doubting that I heard God's voice at all.  Find out what is hindering you and use the sword of scripture to fight back when it attacks (For example, when fear attacks me I use scripture to come against fear) 
  • Stay connected-Being around like minded people who are pursuing Christ will help you stay motivated and accountable.  You are a part of the body of Christ and we need you to contribute what God has purposed you for. 


If you don't know the Lord yet and are ready to become a disciple of the Lord then pray this prayer:(which I borrowed from another website)

"Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen." 
See more at: http://www.allaboutgod.com/prayer-of-salvation.htm#sthash.5ilhCyAw.dpuf

If your heart is aligned with this prayer, then you have been saved!  Congratulations and prayerfully start searching for a church home! 


True Love

No comments:

Post a Comment